[WT-support] Slow rotator read-out

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Feb 27 03:08:45 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 5:52 PM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley
<W2RU at frontiernet.net>wrote:

> I have installed a Green Heron RT-20 (serial port, not USB) rotor control
> into my Win-Test set-up on COM4 (regular PCI card) of my PC with Win7 Pro
> 64-bit OS.
>

> 1.  How do wtRotator.exe and the rotor controller determine the signalling
> speed in use on the COM port?  I don't find any way to force a specific
> speed when the rotor controller is capable of multiple speeds.  (I normally
> set the Green Heron to 4800-8-N-1, the original DCU-1 spec.)

I think it must be hard coded based on rotator type selected, so if the
Green Heron RT-20 interface is compatible with the DCU-1 then 4800-N-8-1
would be appropriate.

2.  The little display window that shows the rotor heading and allows manual
> control of the rotor SERIOUSLY lags the actual real-time beam heading as it
> appears on the front panel display of the Green Heron.  When rotating a
> TailTwister from Europe to Japan the short way, the Win-Test heading display
> can be as much as 40 or 50 seconds and/or degrees behind!

Not good.  Try PstRotatorsAz by YO3DMU instead of wtRotators.  It is much
more functional, mostly, and it is completely compatible with Win-Test's
network protocols.

http://www.qsl.net/yo3dmu/index_Page346.htm