[WT-support] One more question

Fulvio Galli hb9dhg at ticino.com
Tue Dec 7 23:38:02 CET 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM, Fulvio Galli <hb9dhg at ticino.com> wrote:
> I found that the modified RUN/S&P messages .. are reset by default as soon I start a new contest.
>
> Yes, because every contest requires different messages.  Standard CW messages are stored in the .wt4 file (the log file), because every contest has different requirements.  When you create a new file, Win-Test reprograms new default messages based on the contest, but many people including myself don't like these default messages.  That's why I never use File | New; I just copy the old .WT4 file from last year and clear all the QSOs (via the CLEARLOG command).  There's also a new text command, COPYLOGCLEAR that is helpful.  See Release.txt in the Win-Test installation directory for the explanation.

Hi Bob,

as always you answered my question.
I do like your workaround. Of course there is no big deal for me to enter the $SPACEAR each time I start a new contest but your suggestion seems very useful
especially if I configure a specific contest and like the same setup a year later.

> I'm assuming I need to tweak the ESM.WTS file . but I don't find it .. any help ?
>
> The ESM.WTS file does not contain any messages; it just simulates standard message keystrokes.  The current source code for ESM.WTS in the Wiki, here.  I've just updated this section of the Wiki to explain how to program your messages when using ESM mode.  Let me know if you have trouble understanding the new text.

Understood. It should be very easy .. and I will give a try.
I'm ready for the 9A CW contest in 2 weeks.

> I have a "short" keyboard that doesn't provide the INSERT button (the ones without numeric pad)
> Is there a workaround for that ?
>
> Yes, use DEFINEKEYS as shown in the Wiki here.  The screen shot suggests adding semicolon [;] as a synonym for  [INSERT], quote ['] as a synonym [PLUS].  These work really well for a touch-typist using a U.S. keyboard, and I believe N1MM uses them as defaults as well.  I am not sure if those keys are convenient on a European keyboard, so use whatever two keys are between the [L] and the [Enter] keys.

ahhh sorry Bob, I didn't found that page.
As far I know .. I need first, to connect a REAL keyboard .. and define the keys .. then
I can re-connect my short keyboard. Thanks for getting me in the right direction.

> I like to hear that Win-Test will improve the ESM support and I look forward to test the new features
>
> It is really up to us users to customize ESM.WTS to our own liking.  The Win-Test developers are unlikely to make any more changes to it.  I will try to see if I can get it to move the cursor the way you wish, and to send the callsign instead of a question mark, but I don't like ESM at all, as I prefer to have every key do the same thing every time, which is the old CT way.  Win-Test was based on being keystroke compatible with CT, in case you were not aware of this.  ESM function was added for those who preferred to use TRlog style.

basically... as far I tested now, I've the same result as N1MM ESM mode by adding the $spacebar in my configuration  and that works like a charm.
Of course I'm assuming the program likes to improve (supporting more contests, increase compatibility with other programs etc.) It is good to collect all users suggestions
and take the best for future releases. I'm happy with what I got now .. but coming from an IT area .. it is easy for me .. maybe not for many ;-)
BTW I'm sure the development group still doing a good job .. and looking forward to the next release.

Many thanks Bob for your kind support.
Fulvio HB9DHG