[WT-support] Speed jumps up occasionally

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Dec 2 01:50:48 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Braco OE1EMS <oe1ems at emssolutions.at>wrote:

>  setup at E7DX is
> PC1 Win XP Pro SP2 / 1 GB RAM   using MK2R+ (winkey)
> PC2 WIN XP Pro SP2 / 760 MB RAM using MKII (winkey)

This second PC really needs more RAM to avoid swapping, but I'm not sure if
that could affect how quickly commands are sent from Win-Test to the Winkey
(it might).

What version of Winkey CHIP is inside these microHAM boxes?  Win-Test
reports the detected Winkey version in red letters at the bottom of the
logging window when you first start Win-Test.

DL6ZBN provided a microHAM communications log between the Winkey and
Win-Test that showed no errors, even though there was a speed jump heard
(actually a failure of the Winkey to perform the Send Buffered Speed change
command that it received from Win-Test).  He also reports using a Winkey v10
chip, which may be the real problem.  It's a little tricky, but with the
covers off, you *can *replace the Winkey chip inside an MK2R/MK2R+ using a
long thin screwdriver, without having to completely disassemble the unit.
An IC pin straightener is recommended to be used on the new chip before
attempting to plug it into the chip socket.

speed jumps up for about 4-6 WPM for leght of whole mesage doe wxample CQ on
> both mashines!

A microHAM Winkey COM port communications log captured at the time of the
speed jump would indicate if Win-Test and the Winkey had a problem
communicating, or if Win-Test sent something "wrong".  In DL6ZBN's log,
everything looked fine.  It's as if the Winkey received the command, but
ignored it.

> We have 3 other PC in use (one more compaq and 2 IBM´s core duo) on the
> mult stations as well with MK II, but those are Mult operating positions.
> Never notice such problemm there, but no real CQ-ing there!!!

What version of Winkey chip do they use?