[WT-support] n1mm rotor

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Aug 16 01:20:06 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM, John Wayman <g4drs at btinternet.com> wrote:

> do you know if it is possible to use the program n1mm rotor to control a
> rotator from WinTest?

Probably not without significant changes to Win-Test or N1MM rotor control.

> n1mm rotor operates my rotator controller perfectly, but WT-rotator does
> not. I understand that this is because my controller uses only a sub-set of
> the Yaesu protocol.

What controller is this that you're talking about?

> I also know that my controller works perfectly with pst-rotator and
> DX-View.

Since PstRotatorAz works perfectly with your rotator, and since it works
with fine Win-Test if both are properly configured, that seems like the best
solution with your controller.

Note that you must start the programs in the right order.

First, start PstRotatorAz.  From the PstRotatorAZ menu select Setup |
Tracker Setup | Win-Test Setup, and select the bands of your beams.  Press
the "By Default" button to set the port number to 9871.  Press [Save
Settings] and close the setup window.

Then on the main PstRotatorAz window, be sure to set "Mode" to "Tracking"
(not "Manual").

Finally,  start Win-Test, go to the Options | Interfaces configuration and
press the "By Default" button which should select the same default broadcast
address and port number (9871).  Apparently you cannot use the "loopback"
address 127.255.255.255 with PstRotatorsAz; you have to use the default.

(Note: I had trouble using PstRotators on Windows 7, because I got Protocol
Error 10013 from Win-Test whenever PstRotators was running, but it works
fine on Windows XP).

> However, all I want to do is press a key or combination of keys and have
> the rotator turn to the right direction during the contest.

That's how it works with Win-Test and PstRotatorsAz.  Just enter a DX Call
or numeric beam heading in the logging window of Win-Test, and press
Ctrl-F12 for SP, or Alt-F12 for LP.   PstRotatorAz will take care of the
rest.

> I would have a version of wt-rotator that works with my controller, but, in
> the meantime, can n1mm rotor be used?

Probably not at this time.  Use PstRotatorsAz.