[WT-support] Entering bandmap without radio interface asks no QRG

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Apr 1 18:38:12 CEST 2010

When you don't have a radio defined in Win-Test Interface Configuration,
Ctrl-Enter just does the wrong thing, despite the fact that you can set the
radio's frequency manually by entering it in the callsign field and pressing
Enter.  The frequency will display properly at the top of the band map, but
nothing else works right (CQ frequency not set right, spots you manually
enter show up in the wrong place, etc.).  This was first reported as a bug
in Win-Test 3.21 via Task
#212<http://flyspray.win-test.com/index.php?do=details&id=212>,
about 19 months ago.  Win-Test 4 has similar issues.

It is often the case that a COM port becomes unavailable.  Win-Test band
mapping should work in manual mode, by entering a frequency and then
entering a callsign and pressing Ctrl-Enter.  For one thing, it allows a
second PC (with no radio connection) to be added to a network and used as a
spotter.

One workaround is to define a dummy radio on COMx (if you have any COM
ports), even if nothing is attached to COMx.