[WT-support] Automatic dupe checking

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Sep 20 06:50:20 CEST 2009

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Clive Whelan
<clive.whelan at btinternet.com>wrote:

> No it doesn't that's the whole point, nothing is displayed until the
> shift key is pressed even when that Tools | Data Entry | Exchange
> Guessing| Automatically combo is selected. Ditto if after delay

The Shift Key?  Do you mean Enter or Spacebar or both?

I cannot replicate this problem.  As soon as I type the last letter of a
duplicate callsign, a red DUPE warning appears at the bottom of the screen.
Maybe you are expected to see "DUPE" on the right hand side of the data
entry line?  Win-Test does not display DUPE there until you log the QSO.

Here's what I see as soon as I type the last letter of GW3NJW:

[image: DupeCheck.PNG]

Maybe if you have changed the background colors, you cannot see the message.

I've no idea what happens in the Check Partial window as I don't use it-just
> copy what I hear.

The Check Partial window is the most efficient way to do dupe checking while
operating S&P.  I urge you to take a look at what it does.

While hunting around, just type a few letters of whatever callsign you
find.  Duplicate calls matching those few characters are displayed in a
different color in the Check Partial window.

If you don't like the master database (MASTER.SCP) callsigns cluttering up
the Check Partial window, just right click on it and select "In Log Only".
Then you will only see callsigns you have logged.

> This happens in any contest and in any v4.x of WT. Specifically I'm
> using 4.2.0 dev. Today specifically in the SAC contest but in every
> other contest I've used to date

It is working fine here, even for SAC, using both WT 4.1 and WT 4.2.0-dev.
If you like, send me your .WT4 file and I'll try with that.  Also send me
your WT.INI file.

> Do you use ESM; is it an issue thereof perhaps ?

I don't use ESM, but I just tried it and it didn't make any difference.  If
you have a customized ESM.WTS in your Scripts directory, maybe THAT is
causing this problem as a side effect.  Rename your ESM script, and restart
Win-Test, and see if the problem goes away.