[WT-support] WT 4.02 and radio interface problem

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Oct 27 18:54:13 CET 2009

First, I assume you were using Win-Test 4.2.0 (there is no version "4.02").

Yes, some people have reported problems with Win-Test not obtaining a
radio's frequency properly, even though setting a frequency works OK.  In
the specific case I know of, the user was using an IC-746Pro with a
combination of USB-to-Serial and Serial to CI-V cables to the radio.  This
combination simply did not work (and DTR=Always On was required to make
anything work, because it supplied power to the CI-V cable).

What hardware interface are you using between your PC and your radios?
microHAM?  USB-to-Serial converters?  What brand?  What is the version of
the device driver and/or Router program?  What version of Windows are you
using?

What COM port settings are you using for both radios (baud rate, stop
bits)?  What do you use for DTR and RTS?

I guess it's possible that Win-Test 4 has a timing issue or memory leak, and
under certain circumstances, it will stop reading frequency data from the
radios.  But it's also possible that this is a device driver issue and
there's nothing the Win-Test developers can do about it.  Can you replicate
the problem using Win-Test 3.27.1 or earlier with the same hardware?