[WT-support] Icom 746 Pro Connection Help?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Oct 22 07:17:09 CEST 2009

Well I'm stumped.

I guess it's possible that some Icom support was broken in Win-Test 4.2, or
maybe it's some specific Windows Vista 64 issue.  Can you try an older
version of Win-Test?

Does your USB-to-Serial driver software have any type of "MONITOR" function
so that you can monitor the data flow between Win-Test and the radio?

I think you want to check "Use CI-V transceive" and Polling Auto.  What kind
of level converter are you using between the RS-232 output and the radio
(that is, do you have a real Icom CI-V box or can you go straight from the
computer to an DB9 connector on the back of the IC-746 Pro?).

You could also try using Icom Generic and set the address in WT.INI to 66h
to see if that makes any difference.  Or switch the radio to address 56h and
select Icom IC-746 or Icom Generic with address 56h.

Did you try typing a frequency in Win-Test and pressing [Enter] to
initialize things?

I really would like to see screen shots of your setup.  Press
Ctrl-Alt-Shift-PrintScreen to copy the active window to the Windows
clipboard, then Start, Programs, Accessories Paint, and then select Edit,
Paste.  Finally, File, Save As, .PNG file and email it to me.  Do that for
Win-Test Setup, Prolific, and COM port setup.