[WT-support] Symantec AntiVirus 10 falsely (?) reporting that WT 4.1 contains a Trojan Horse

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Oct 17 23:59:09 CEST 2009

NR5M is having an issue with Symantec AntiVirus 10 and Win-Test.  This
AntiVirus program is reporting that WinTest 4.1 contains a Trojan Horse
(virus).  This happens when auto-protect is on, and you close a Win-Test
file (File | Close),  or exit Win-Test 4.1 (File | Exit).  It continues to
happen after downloading and re-installing a fresh copy of Win-Test from
http://download.win-test.com/v4/bin/wt-4.1.0.exe
Switching to version 4.2.0-dev (
http://download.win-test.com/v4/nightly/wt_dev.zip) makes the problem go
away.

I have a feeling it is yet another AntiVirus program false alarm; I haven't
seen it myself yet, but I have an older version of Symantec AntiVirus, and a
virus definition file that is a few days older than NR5M's

NR5M has:

Symantec AntiVirus Full, Version 10.1.0.394
Autoprotect ON
Virus Definition File 10/17/2009 Rev. 4
Scan Engine Version 91.2.1.10

If anyone else sees a similar issue being reported by Symantec about WT.EXE,
please report.