[WT-support] Automating Caps Lock binding

José Nunes CT1BOH ct1boh at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:03:08 CEST 2009

Just a note regarding "automatic caps lock binding"

When  in 2005 F5MZN and I were discussing the the philosophy behind
"Advanced SO2R", that eventually lead to a specifications document and the
rules behind the software coding of Win-test, we had very clear the
experience of both TR - N6TR logging program and CT - K1EA when it comes to
SO2R, and the problematic of (1) RX focus and (2) log field focus.

It was decided that:

   -  RX focus should be automatic and according to scenarios.
   - Log field focus, should not be automatic, and decided upon user
   decision by either (a) Shift lock (b) Caps Lock (c) foot switch push

 You can check history by reading
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2005-02/msg00060.html and
the summary below:

"A big problem an SO2R operator has to face is the fact he is running with 2

radios but only has one keyboard. Sometime checking if a call is a
multiplier
or not is not very easy, especially if there is a run going on at the same
time.
TR users will push ALT and D keys write a call and then hit ENTER to check
if a
 call is a multiplier.
CT users can do this procedure in a more efficient way, because the computer

puts the radio 2 log entry field in front, automatically, while radio 1 is
transmitting. All the operator has to do is type a call, saving ALT key , D
key
and ENTER key. Although this is very efficient (I had the idea, and asked
K1EA
to implement it), the timing takes a little to get used to and is dependent
on
the transmission of radio1.
Win-Test proposes two ways to solve the problem, dependent only of the user
will. While the user pushes the SHIFT key, this signals the program that
whatever is typed into the keyboard goes into the second radio log entry
field
or while the user pushes a footswitch whatever he types into the keyboard
goes
into the second radio log entry field. Automatically, letter by letter of a
callsign typed in the log field entry, Win-Test tells the user if it is a
new
multiplier or not."

 Automatic log field focus "Caps lock biding"  is not a very good solution,
and it is CT - K1EA philosophy (which by the way K1EA implemented into CT
also according to a specification document I sent him).

But as in anything else in life, almost each head has his reasoning, so if
that is an option so be it, as long as it does not change the "standard"
rule.

73
José Nunes
CT1BOH / CR3E

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Clive Whelan
<clive.whelan at btinternet.com>wrote:

> Since my MK2R+ automatically switches the headphones to radio 2 when radio
> 1 is transmitting ( and vice versa), it would be nice to have WT
> automatically shift the rx focus to radio 2 at the same time.
>
> I guess this is possible by adding " caps lock" to the beginning and end
> of the CQ message, but I don't really know how to do this. Could
> somebody please confirm if this is possible and if so suggest a way to
> do it?
>
> 73
>

> Clive
> GW3NJW