[WT-support] New User

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jun 3 19:31:44 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 6:37 AM, <marcelo at alternex.com.br> wrote:

I found the outgoing serial numbers a bit crammed. Maybe it is just an
> impression, but I had an unusual high number of repeat requests.

Were you sending "cut numbers" via Options | CW | Serial Number |
Abbreviated ?  Cut numbers confuse many operators, and you will often be
asked for repeats.  You can use the text command NOABBREV to disable this.

Is there any parameter anywhere (wintest, winkey) to insert a tiny fraction
> of a second between each figure of the S/N?

No, but you can program [F2] with

$RST -$SERIAL+

to send the serial number 4 WPM slower than the "5NN".

WinKey has a Farnsworth mode that puts extra spaces between every character,
but WinTest doesn't give you any way to temporarily switch it on and off.

I also had a small but annoying delay between pressing the + key and the
> start of transmission.
> Maybe I need a faster computer, maybe it’s the time to process the
> $CORRECT. It is
> really annoying in fast pile-ups.

Check your [+] message for leading blanks before the "TU".  Also, how slow
is your computer (CPU, RAM, Operating System)?  Are you using a WinKey USB?
Is it connected to a USB 2.0 port or USB 1.1?  Are you logging to a slow
drive (flash memory or floppy disk)?

Does the delay go away if you disable the WinKey and use LPT keying?  If you
use the SOUND command to monitor CW, do you still hear the delay?