[WT-support] ESM functionality

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Wed Jul 15 09:51:15 CEST 2009

Dear Olivier & Laurent

I apologise if my beating of the drum is an irritation but having waited two
years for ESM I would dearly love for it to meet my needs.

It occurs to me there are two reasons why you might decide not to adopt my
suggestion:

1.  You and some of your early users of WT4 are satisfied the current ESM
implementation is effective and you want to retain it.

2.  You have other priorities and you are not prepared to commit your time
re-coding ESM.

Should it emerge that 2 above reflects your position, there is not much I
can usefully say here.  On the other hand if 1 above is your concern, I
would point out that implementation of cursor field addressing NEED NOT
preclude retention of the existing functionality.  Indeed the existing
functionality can be retained whilst at the same time significant
configuration flexibility will be added.

Were cursor/field addressing implemented as follows and $Spacebar added to
the end of the RUN Insert message, I believe current ESM behaviour might be
retained.

RUN

Cursor in empty Call field - Return = F1
Cursor & Call in Call field - Return = Insert
Cursor in Exchange field  - Return = +

S&P

Cursor in empty Call field - Return = F7
Cursor & Call in Call field - Return = F4
Cursor in Exchange field  - Return = Insert

The following behaviour would result:

RUN

Call field empty - Return = CQ message
Call in Call field - Return = Exchange sent
Next Return = PLUS key terminator

If a repeat is requested the operator has the option of either hitting the
Exchange F key or Spacebar Return.

S&P

Call field empty - Return = F7 = ?
Call in Call field - Return = F4 = Mycall OR Mycall Spacebar for the Big
Guns
Exchange field - Return = Plus key terminator just as now.  (Message
adjusted by user to reflect current operation if desired)

The following illustrates the way in which I would use the functionality I
am suggesting when running

RUN Message Contents

F1 = P3F
Insert = exchange $Spacebar
+ = TU $CR

Behaviour

Pressing Return in an empty Call field sends P3F  (This is my CQ call.  If I
want a long CQ I hit an F key.)
Pressing Return with Call and cursor in Call field sends my exchange and
advances cursor to the exchange field where I am ready to amend the received
exchange where the guess proves incorrect.
If asked for a repeat of exchange I press Spacebar before Return.  The
cursor returns to the Call field and a repeat exchange is sent.
Pressing Return while the cursor is in the exchange field sends TU $CR.  If
I want to follow TU with Mycall I press Return twice.

The above takes a lot of words to describe but in essence I can make my
short CQ (mycall) and go on to complete a run of Qs using only the Return
key aside from entering the station Calls of course.  If a station asks for
a repeat I need only preceed a Return with Spacebar.  From cursor position
and field content I always know what will happen when I next press Return.
I decide exactly when I want to follow a Q with Mycall and when I don't.

Sorry about the bandwidth.  It's just, as I think you will understand by
now, I really would like WT4 to offer this flexibility in ESM.

Regards.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F