[WT-support] ESM functionality

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Tue Jul 14 09:37:51 CEST 2009

Dear Olivier and Laurent

I realise you have only just implemented ESM in V4 but I wonder if you might
be prepared to consider a change to its functionality to accommodate cursor
addressing?

The current functionality has two clear disadvantages IMHO:

1.  When a QSO does not follow the usual format it is necessary to revert to
F keys to avoid inappropriate responses. (E.g a request for repeat of
exchange.)

2.  The operator cannot tell from looking at the screen what will happen
when he next presses return.

If ESM was re-coded such that message sent and logging action taken were
dependent upon which field the cursor is in, together with the content of
that field, these disadvantages would be overcome.

I believe the following behaviour would provide a useful improvement.

RUN

Cursor in empty Call field - return = F4
Cursor & Call in Call field - return = Insert
Cursor in Exchange field  - return = +

S&P

Cursor in empty Call field - return = F4
Cursor & Call in Call field - return = F4
Cursor in Exchange field  - return = Insert

A useful addition to the message variables might be something like $>.  This
variable added to the end of the RUN Insert message would automatically
advance the cursor to the Exchange field.  The Space Bar toggles between
Call & Exchange fields, so it would only be necessary to press the Space Bar
before Return on those occasions where a repeat was requested.

Thank you for your consideration.

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F