[WT-support] (no subject)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jul 10 20:27:07 CEST 2009

Hi Al,

You usually will not receive a COM port opening error if you have no radio
connected.  That message usually means that another program, perhaps another
logging program or another instance of Win-Test, or even a PDA program, is
already running and is using that COM port, whether hardware is connected to
it or not.  Reboot Windows and try again.

If you start Win-Test and type SETUP [Enter] in the callsign field, you
should be able to re-enable the serial ports by checking them.  If they are
all gray, something else is wrong.

If your PC has no real serial ports, and you are using a USB to serial
adapter or a microHAM router, that router software must be running first,
before you start Win-Test, since it is the software that defines the
"Virtual" COM ports that you must specify in Win-Test.