[WT-support] SO2R on 2 networked computers

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jan 28 02:42:36 CET 2009

Regarding serial numbers, remember it is OK to send some duplicate serial
numbers in a contest IF the Cabrillo file properly records the serial number
sent to each station.  There is no reason to implement complex "serial
number reservation" logic.  Short term, could you please make it as easy to
edit "serial number sent" as it is to edit "RST sent" ([tab] key).

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Zoli Pitman HA1AG <ha1ag at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Maybe a TX inhibit input would overcome this if U don't want to code it
> into the networking protocol. Breaking the PTT line on the other radio only
> could make the op sound like a lid if the interrupted message is still being
> played when the interrupting message finishes.

Note that QSK can give you a competitive advantage in many situations, but
hardware PTT / TX Inhibit solutions do NOT work well with QSK either.

Therefore I would also like to see a good two-computer or SO2R
*software*solution added to Win-Test V4.

The current SO2R implementation in Win-Test has many disadvantages:

   1. The "Primary/Secondary" radio window concept isn't nearly as natural
   or easy to learn as "left rig" and "right rig" (sometimes the window
   controlling  the "left" rig ends up on the right hand side of the Win-Test
   screen)
   2. Complex SO2R boxes are required.  They are difficult to configure.
   3. One SO2R box + cables costs more than two used desktop PCs.
   4. The current "Shift/CapsLock binds to secondary radio" method is very
   cumbersome to use it because requires many keystrokes as you constantly
   toggle back and forth between radio windows to S&P and check for dupes while
   maintaining a run frequency (see below).
   5. The automated SO2R scenarios don't work properly when you press [Esc]
   or use $QSOB4 (see Bug
#205<http://flyspray.win-test.com/index.php?do=details&id=205>),
   making them unusable.
   6. The Check Partial / Check Mults window contents change when you switch
   data entry windows (as they should, but it is confusing)
   7. When you want to send something manually with the paddles on the
   secondary radio, you have to remember to press [*] instead of [CapsLock]
   8. You cannot use one fast CW speed on the Run radio, and a second slower
   CW speed on the S&P radio
   9. You cannot run four instances of MMTTY in a RTTY contest (one per VFO
   on both radios), you can only run two.
   10. Your SO2R station has at least two "single points of failure":  the
   PC and the SO2R box.

For all of these reasons, I think it is really important for Win-Test to
attempt to implement a networked SO2C mode (Single-op, two Computer), with
software lock-out.

Example 1 - Two computers, no SO2R box (future SO2C):

Rig 1 = Run (PC 1), Rig 2 = S&P (PC 2)

PC 1: [F1] Calls CQ on Rig 1
PC 2: [F4] Interrupts Rig 1, sends your call (maybe you have to press it a
few times to get through until he finally comes back)
PC 1: [F1] CQ starts
PC 2: Enter the received exhange, press [F2] to interrupt Rig 1, send your
exchange, meanwhile someone answer your CQ on Rig 1
PC 1: Type the call, press [Insert], it is "stacked" and sent when Rig 2 is
finished sending the exchange

Total function keys pressed = 5

Example 2 - Today in Win-Test, one computer, one SO2R box:

[F1]
[CapsLock]
[F4]
[CapsLock]
[F1]
[CapsLock]
Enter the received exhange and press [F2]
[CapsLock]
Type the call (hurry!)
[Insert]

Total function keys pressed = 9  (you can reduce this by using automatic
repeating CQs, but your "CapsLock finger" still hurts after the contest).

QSL?