[WT-support] SO2R on 2 networked computers

Matt IZ3EYZ iz3eyz at virgilio.it
Tue Jan 27 20:28:49 CET 2009

>> Did U implement TX inhibiting over the network for SO2R/two computers ?

>No. We consider it must be done externally to prevent any propagation
>delays and dead-lock situations.

Sure PTT interlock it's enough, anyhow what I feel it's missing ATM and it
would be nice to have is CW or SSB msgs queued (please refer to W0YK/P49X
post in June 2008). Besides SO2R such a feature can be useful also for
Multi-ops with 2 interlocked radios on the same band.
Last but not the least it would play a role in next WRTC 2010 where you can
expect a M2 style operation with PTT interlock (thus it needs msgs queuing).

I know most of SO2R (European) guys are using 2 networked PCs. Moreover,
considering not only those using an A/B audio switch but even the owners of
expensive SO2R boxes seem to like the 2PCs style, I guess there's still high
demand, isn't it?

I understand concerns about TX inhibit through software only, but maybe it
might be possible for WT to sense if PTT (PCa/radio a or PCb/radio b) is
"closed" and so queuing msgs (or even last/1st wins) until trasmission
stops. I think in a 2 PCs environment (SO2R or WRTC) that would be easy to
handle, also in large MS/M2/MM setups as long as it's used to handle 2 same
band radios (establishing "sub-networks").
Of course I do not expect to run a 5/6 station environment with 10+ PCs and
interlocking run/mult stations ;-)

73s

Matt.EYZ