[WT-support] WT winkey MK{2R} problems

AC0W ac0w at charter.net
Tue Jan 27 04:48:11 CET 2009

I should have followed this more closely, but notice the problem of failure
of the MK2R Winkeyer shortly after start-up of Win-Test. I've experience
similar issues and have discover part of the problem.

One the problems I've experience is when starting the Device Router the
Winkeyer port settings under the Ports tab are gone, i.e. ports are none. So
I reload the preset settings for the particular setup and things work
better.

However, it is not 100%. Sometimes when opening Win-Test, something happens
to the MK2R WinKeyer settings that when I try sending a message only the
first character is sent and it doesn't work any more. When this happens I
sometimes find the MK2R WinKeyer port has reverted back to none.

I'm using the Device Router 7.1.5. I'm not sure if this occurred after an
update to the Device Router or after a update to Win-Test.

In the process of trying to figure out what is happening I at least
determine a method to make sure I have functional CW about 98% of the time
when starting Win-Test. May be kind of goofy but it works. Briefly here it
is.

Open Device Router
Reload Preset settings
Do not minimize Device Router
Manually send short CW (test, call sign, etc)
Now open Win-Test
Once Win-Test is running press a function key to send message.
Keep Diver Router Window open for a while

If the message is properly sent I usually will have no problems after that.
I also found that I need to keep the device router open for a while until
I've made a few QSO's. Once a few QSO's are in the log then you can minimize
the device router with little risk of a failure. However, minimizing the
router right a way tends to increase the likelihood of loosing the ability
to send CW from the computer.

Hopefully this helps,

Bill
AC0W