[WT-support] Interfacing FT-817 for CW

Rudolf Schwenger Rudolf.Schwenger at t-online.de
Thu Jan 8 22:16:24 CET 2009

Hi friends,

thank you very much for your support on this issue. IT's RUNNING!!

I am especially grateful to Bob Wilson, N6TV and to Ed, K1ZE who directed my attention to the fact that you need to establish a physical connection to the KEY-jack of the FT-817 and even more important that you need to download the DLPortIO.dll from the WT home page. That really did it!!

I am fortunate in owing an old fashioned NB featuring both a physical COM as well as a physical LPT-port. After 30 minutes of searching my various cable boxes at 20° F I actually found the cable which I had built many years ago in order to feed CW from the LPT port to my very old IC-761. The cable included the transistor and the 1K resistor in the plug. Of course, it did not just work like that, but having downloaded the DLPortIO.dll the FT-817 started to send something which sounded like morse code. Thinking even harder I figured I needed to tell the FT-817 whether the KEY-jack should be considered to accomodate just a paddle or CW signals from the computer. And after another 30 minutes or so I found the relevant menue to configure the jack and voilà it worked!!

Once again: Thanks a lot for all your help!!!

vy 73 de Rudy, DJ3WE