[WT-support] WT vs FT-817

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jan 7 23:39:05 CET 2009

2009/1/7 Rudolf Schwenger <Rudolf.Schwenger at t-online.de>

> (1) I am using the physical COM port of the NB (Windows XP) which is
> connected to the ACC socket of the FT-817 by means of a home made cable.

(2) I have configured COM 1 (Radio 1) as 8N2 at 4800 Baud and I have
> assigned Pin 4 to CW and Pin 7 to PTT. I have also tried it the other way
> round, i.e. Pin 4 to PTT and Pin 7 to cw to no avail.

In your home-made cable, did you connect a serial port keying
circuit<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Interfaces#COM-port_CW_keying>between
the serial port DE-9 connector Pin 4, and the KEY input of your
rig?  In other words, does the cable have only one connection running to the
back of the rig, or two?  For CW, I think you'll need two:  one for the
Accessory jack, and a second for the KEY line.

Did you change the FT-817 to "BK" (semi-breakin) mode as described on Page
30 of the FT-817 manual, "Operation using Straight Key/External Keying
Device"?

Did you try changing COM1 from Radio 1 to "Other Interface" as suggested by
W9ZRX, and use the same pin 4 and pin 7settings?  Does CW keying start to
work?  If not, something is missing, such as the required keying circuit.