[WT-support] WinKey USB issue at W8JI fixed

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Dec 19 00:03:24 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:

> This season Wintest does not seem to communicate with the keyer.

Looking at Tom's config. I saw that Win-Test was set up to talk to his K1EL
WinKey USB at 9600 baud instead of the Win-Test default, 1200 baud, so we
corrected that.  I also saw that in the WKSETUP window, Pin 5 was set to
"PTT" instead of "Sidetone", so Tom couldn't hear any sidetone coming out of
the WinKey when he pressed F1 in Win-Test.

It all seems to be working much better now.

The K1EL WinKey USB is much different than the WinKey in a microHAM box,
even though they use the same chip (V22 in this case).  My understanding is
that during startup, Win-Test attempts to reset the WinKey to match the
WKSETUP dialog values.   I also believe that the K1EL WinKey USB respects
these changes, but the WinKey in a microHAM box ignores most of them.  The
microHAM Router software has its own WinKey setup values, and it won't let a
program mess with these.

So that is something to consider when debugging WinKey issues.  It matters a
lot which WinKey USB device you are using, microHAM or K1EL.