[WT-support] erratic CW sending with internet

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Dec 14 03:33:21 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:

> The problem with that is you have to get WinKey to work
> consistently with Wintest.
>
> Mine was working OK, not good but OK, for several months and
> now it acts up all the time. I could not get it running for
> the 160 contest, so we had to use CT logging.
>
> I think NQ4I is having a similar problem.

Please be very specific when reporting WinKey problems.

First, what version of Win-Test are you using?  Win-Test 4.4.0-dev includes
one fix for the WinKey:

- Bugfix (#255): K1EL WinKey USB CW timing becomes very poor
(Farnsworth style) when PTT delay is default 50 ms. This was caused
by too low hardcoded value (80ms) of the PTT Tail delay. This delay
is now configurable in the Winkey Properties Dialog Box.

Please test it (http://download.win-test.com/v4/nightly).

There are many different WinKey devices:

microHAM microKeyer
microHAM MK2R/MK2R+

K1EL WinKey (serial)
K1EL WKUSB (USB)

others

There several WinKey chips:

V20
V21
V22

The microHAM products have specific USB Device drivers and a "Router"
program.  The K1EL products ship with different USB device drivers.  Did you
update any of those before the problems started?

USB ports can also be put "to sleep" by Windows Power Management.  To
disable this Start | Run | DevMgmt.msc | USB Controllers | USB Root Hub  |
Right click | Properties | Power Management tab | uncheck "Allow the
computer to turn off this device to save power" (but others have tried this
and it did not help).

I'm using a microHAM MK2R+ v3.0 with WinKey rev. 22 under microHAM Device
Router 5.1.1 (all very OLD).  Using these old drivers, I have no WinKey
problems running Win-Test (any version).

However, several others with newer versions of microHAM software are
reporting problems keeping communications open between both WinKey devices
AND radios such as the Elecraft K3.

In other words, the problem may not be fixable in Win-Test.  The best way to
help diagnose the problem is to capture a COM port communications log at the
time of failure, either via the microHAM Router's built-in mechanism (MON
button on Ports tab) or the
Portmon<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx>program.