[WT-support] default.dta file

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 18 19:27:54 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Clive Whelan
<clive.whelan at btinternet.com>wrote:

> I'm guessing therefore that the difference is in the parsing of the
> files in WT which ignores the /<callsign>, but no doubt you will know
> definitively.

N+1 means "Callsigns that are no ONE character off," with the slash ( / )
counting as a character.

So if you enter

   KH6/

You'll only see KH6J, KH6U, and KH6X in the N+1 window, and every callsign
that contains KH6/ in the check partial window.

If you enter

   KH67W6PH

You'll see

   KH6/W6PH

listed in the N+1 window, and NO callsigns listed in the Check Partial
window.

So that's why you usually need both, and that's why putting GW3NJW/Clive in
your .DTA files is going to eliminate your friends (CALL/Name) from ever
being listed in the N+1 window.  Every "friend" callsign will be TWO or more
characters off, not ONE.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Clive Whelan
<clive.whelan at btinternet.com>wrote:

>  I never normally use the partial or N+1 windows, nor e.g.
> exchange guessing, since I just copy what I hear ( I am 100% CW btw).

Exchange guessing is a great time saver.  You still must copy what you hear
to verify the information, but if it is correct, you have that much less
typing to do, especially for stations that you have already logged on other
bands.  Less typing is good.  With exchange guessing, Win-Test will first
look through the current log to see what you entered previously.  If not
found, it will try to guess the Zone based on the call and zone data in the
Country files (CT.DAT, CT_WT_MOD.DAT), which I think is fine.  Win-Test can
also pull information from .DTB files (sometimes called "pre-fill files" or
"exchange databases"), which may not be that accurate.  If you use
DEFAULT.SCP, and Zone is NOT part of the exchange, exchange guessing only
prefills exchange data for previously logged stations, and .DTB files are
not used.

As mentioned, The Extra Data Files Window is the right place to display your
Names database.  Since it uses simple ASCII files, it is a lot easier to
maintain than .DTA files.  It has nothing to do with the Exchange Guessing
option.