[WT-support] Redefining the * key

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 10 20:32:21 CEST 2009

If you have a low boredom threshold , please hit delete now!

Some of you might remember that I have a keyboard with no numeric
keypad. I therefore decided to temporarily connect a conventional USB
kbd in order to redefine the numpad * key to the Pause key with which I
am familiar in Brand X logger. However for some reason the standard
routine in WT will not accept the Pause key, although paradoxically it
will accept Ctrl-Pause ! I can live with that but I'd like to drop the
Ctrl of course. In wt.ini, the aforementioned produces the line KEY0=259
4 42 0.

Now I can see that 42 is the decimal code for the * key, and if I use
the main kbd * , I then get .......  42 1, so obviously the second
figure is the shift character. Puzzlingly 259 is greater even than the
extended ASCII range and no other qualifier than 4 works when I modify
the line in wt.ini. A lot of googling fails to produce an answer :-(

So I have two questions

1. Does anyone know the correct sequence for the ( stand-alone ) Pause key

and/or

2. Perhaps someone else's keyboard will accept the Pause character in
Tools| Redefine keyboard..., and could let me know the sequence produced
in wt.ini?

Advice appreciated.

73

Clive