[WT-support] IOTA And QSO Numbers

Bob Glasgow bob.gm4uyz at talktalk.net
Thu Aug 6 13:55:46 CEST 2009

We have taken part in IOTA for many years and as everyone says the Serial
Number saga is a real pain. It was worse when we used NA and if you held on
too long to a QSO the small network buffer used to overflow and then cause
serial numbers out of sequence. now that was a pain to sort although we
wrote a small batch file which fixed things very quickly. Then Win-test came
along and that no longer became an issue as it all sorted itself out. The
reason that you get two serial numbers the same and it can be demonstrated
is when two stations press the ENTER button at exactly at the same time.
Regard worrying about it, why, as when it comes to log checking as long as
both stations have the same serial number then all is fine. The checkers
also are aware of the anomalies with serial numbers and accept there could
be one or two out..it happens. Maybe what needs to happen is that the IOTA
rules are changed to allow running on all bands at the same time, same as
CQWW and the people on an island give RST Island Reference Number. For those
not on an island give RST NI001 where NI = Non Island. I think also running
on all bands at the same time gives the IOTA chasers the opportunity in a 24
hour period the ability to contact maybe some rare islands on all 5 bands..
Sad to say the last part will never happen as I have asked for it in the
past.    Ok just my two pence worth.

Regards,

Bob Glasgow GM4UYZ

Sec: Cockenzie & Port Seton Amateur Radio Club

Email:  <mailto:bob.gm4uyz at talktalk.net> bob.gm4uyz at talktalk.net

Website:  <http://www.cpsarc.com> www.cpsarc.com

Tel: 01875 811723