[WT-support] Software lockout for bandchange ?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Aug 4 13:47:46 CEST 2009

why wouldn't you prefer a hardware solution to do this kind
of lock-out (or
protection)? Software's reliability can be pretty high,
agreed, but a
specific designed hw (not necessarily a complicated thing)
will easily
exceed the timeliness needed, than what one may expect from
a logger.>>

I have built and used hardware lockouts here. There is
ALWAYS a requirement that the software sending CW or voice
somehow accept a "hold" signal of some type for all computer
sending during a lockout event. Otherwise the computer will
send CW (or voice keyer) to the locked out transmitter. Then
when the hardware lockout drops a partial transmission will
be sent. That becomes a real mess.

I built a lockout that stores the CW and forwards it to the
radio so it can hold the CW during a lockout, but it would
be much cleaner and work better to simply have a "wait"
input on the computer.

Tom