[WT-support] Bandmap with 2 VFO's

John Warburton G4IRN qrz at dxdx.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 17:22:59 CEST 2008

Hi Bob

Thanks for getting back. I'm using an FT-2000 here so maybe the 1000MP is different, I don't know.

Yes, the word 'split' appears whenever I go into split mode, however that is a red herring in this case. Maybe if I explain how I am using the VFO's, that will help.

If I call CQ (run) on VFO A and listen on VFOA - no problem, the bandmap is centred  on the  VFOa frequency.
Similarly, if I call CQ (run) on VFO B and listen on VFOB - no problem, the bandmap is centred on the  VFOB frequency.

Whilst I am TX'ing and RX'ing on VFOB, if I now tune around the band on VFOA looking for multipliers (i.e. both receivers active) - the bandmap is centred VFOB frequency. So if I hear something on VFOA that I want to put on my bandmap, I can't do it.

Similarly,  whilst I am TX'ing and RX'ing on VFOA, if I now tune around the band on VFOB looking for mults  (i.e. both receivers active) the bandmap is centred on VFOB - I can now add stuff to the bandmap (Ctrl-Enter) that I hear on VFOB but.. when I work a station (on VFOA), it gets added to the bandmap at the VFOB frequency - this is incorrect! I worked the guy at VFOA frequency but he appears on the bandmap at the VFOB frequency!

So, irrespective of the TX frequency and 'split' status, if both receivers are active then the bandmap is centred on VFOB. In my mind there should be some way of selecting which VFO is being tracked in the bandmap when in dual receive.

I think you summarised quite nicely: For SO2V operating, we really need a little enhancement to Win-Test to enable Ctrl-S to "Swap VFOs" instead of "Swap radios" - however we need to be careful because we can be actively receiving on both VFO's at the same time. Its a matter of selecting which receive VFO the bandmap is tracking.

For me this would be a major enhancement. I have now found a way of splitting the radio's CAT control to two separate laptops, therefore it would be great in a Field Day situation with one op on VFOA and one op on VFOB for each of them to track the relevant VFO. (This is something that other software can do but I really would prefer to use WT !)

Thanks. John.