[WT-support] DVK with Microkeyer

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Oct 27 00:06:28 CET 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Andrew O'Brien <andrewobrie at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm quite confused about setting up Wintest to do DVK with a Microham
> Microkeyer.  I have recorded files via Microkey's device router and
> they work when I press play in the device router.  How do I use them
> in Wintest?

This is a complex thing to set up.  The microHAM boxes can be challenging to
use as DVKs with Win-Test.

The Win-Test documentation describing how to use the microHAM sound CODECs
with Win-Test still seems incomplete.

I have only had success using my MK2R+ with LPT pins controlling the MK2R+
DVK via "Classic Auto Control" (not available on microKeyer?).  I haven't
been able to make the Win-Test DVK work using "microHAM control protocal"
alone.

You may have better luck.  Please see this
section<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/BestPractice5>of the Wiki.  Pay
particular attention to the Win-Test
configuration page <http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/BestPractice5#Win-Test>.
You must define the microHAM control port (COM9 in the example).  This must
match the Control port defined on the Router's PORTS tab. You must also
define COM ports for PTT.  Then the function keys should activate the DVK
messages.

The microHAM codecs were installed when you installed the Router software.
While router is running, your system will have a second "sound card" in
addition to the main PC sound card.

If you can't get the microHAM DVK to work even after defining the microHAM
control port to Win-Test, try using the microHAM CODEC as a sound card.
Select "enable sound card" on the Win-Test configuration page and select
micoHAM CODEC from the drop-down list.  Note:  when I tried this, Win-Test
crashed.  Using the MK2R+ DVK via LPT pins worked much better for me.

If you can't get the microHAM CODEC to work, you may have to use the PC's
internal sound card DVK instead of the microKeyer (requires extra audio
cables between PC and radio).

Has anyone else been able to use a microHAM DVK with Win-Test without using
the LPT port?  Is there anything missing from the Wiki pages?