[WT-support] WPX CW 2008 reflections

Tõnno Vähk Tonno.Vahk at gildbankers.com
Tue May 27 22:31:05 CEST 2008

YES!!! I had to read your message two times to believe how good news it was!:))

$NEXTSERIAL and $PREVSERIAL if FANTASTIC!!

AUTOSEND disabling is FANTASTIC!

*

Now abt the AUTOFILLING of the Callsign window. Bob writes: "Sounds like a good idea, but what if you type something then move the knob a bit, you might lose what you typed.  I guess it would only auto-enter callsigns when the callsign field is blank?  This feature would also have to be coordinated with the Bandmap Search and Pounce Option which does the opposite; it automatically adds calls that you enter into the band map, after you turn the tuning knob.  But maybe that would be an easy way to correct busted packet spots:  overtype the call and turn the knob -- band map updated with correct call. :-)"

I don't understand. Whe you are in S&P mode with automatic wiping enabled YOU LOSE WHAT YOU TYPED ANYWAY if you move VFO a bit. The feature of autofilling the callsign field when tuning on the call in the bandmap has nothing to do with it. It is just an automatic CTRL-SPACE function. And you would use it always together with automatic wiping and bandmap filling so those two (or three) features work perfectly together. That is the idea of it that you can enter callsing yourself into callsign window and it gets entered into bandmap or if you tune on the callsign in bandmap it gets automatically placed on your callsign field and you can press F11 and replace it if you find somebody else there. I think Bob is not fully aware of the callsign field wiping concept judging by his comment.

So by all means - that automatic filling could be an additional radio button under BANDMAP Properties window next to adding calls automatically in BANDMAP and WIPING the CALLSING FIELD. It would really make the S&P process with WT perfect, please see if it is possible to implement! There is no conflict with any other feature as I see it! Right now you already get the callsign field filled automatically when moving with CTRL-arrow so that is what we need when tuning also.

*

About AUTOSEND and AUTOCQ shorcuts. I know about CWAUTO, NOCWAUTO, RPT, NORPT. True, they are usually better than menu but if you want to do that during pileup it is not so easy to type so much, you might have not enough time when your callsign field is empty. NOCWAUTO is 7 (!) key strokes. While you could do with 1 only when shortcut is used. There are keys assigned for many things never used at all and I see many free shortcuts from all the ALT, CTRL, F keys, why not even ALTGR combinations. Why not use some of them for something so useful? And you can use AUTOSEND shortcut as replacement for CWAUTO3. It is OK to go to menu to change it from 3 to 4 if really necessary. Also, as interim solution, could you make some text commands shorter - like CWA and NCWA for example?

I answer some other items Bob asked about in reply to his mail.

Thanks!
73
tonno