[WT-support] WinKey fixes in v3.21.0-dev

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Fri May 23 08:40:58 CEST 2008

Hi all !

With the cooperation of Bob N6TV, Steve K1EL, Jozef OM7ZZ and several
other Win-Test users, I fixed several speeds issues we had with the
WinKey devices.

The current development version (3.21.0-dev), available in the nightly
builds directory include these fixes :

http://download.win-test.com/nightly/wt_dev.zip

How-to use a nightly build :

http://download.win-test.com/nightly/%23_READ_ME_%23.TXT

Note that this dvpt version includes a new version of the network
protocol. If you choose to deploy it in a multi-op environment, it must
be installed on *all* networked computers.

Current release notes :

http://download.win-test.com/nightly/release.txt

Technical Notes :

1/ If you're using a WinKey embedded in a microHam device, its settings
(speed range, PTT delays, etc.) must be set in the microHam router. The
Win-Test settings are *ignored* and dumped by the router. On the other
hand, as there is no feedback of the real settings to Win-Test, a
mismatch can exist. By default, Win-Test uses a Min speed of 20 WPM and
a range of 40 WPM (meaning the Max speeed is 60 WPM). If you use these
settings in the microHam router, you'll be in-sync.

2/ When using the "synchronized speed" (meaning *no* independent
speeds), and the Alt-F9/F10/V speed changes, you can face a situation
where the displayed speed is not correct. It is not a bug, but rather a
design limitation of the WinKey. Let me explain :

If speeds were fully synchronized, the WK potentiometer should turn by
itself when you change the speed within Win-Test. Obviously, as the WK
uses a plain non-motorized pot., it doesn't turn ! The only way to keep
in sync is to *never* use the Alt-F9/F10/V speed changes in this mode,
but only use the WK potentiometer.

If you can't accept this inconvenience, you're encouraged to use the
independent speeds mode.

Thanks again to Bob, Steve, Jozef, and those who helped !