[WT-support] CAT settings of FT-1000MP MarkV (field) in Win-Test

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Jun 10 23:17:00 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Toni Lindén <oh2ua at oh2u.com> wrote:

> With real COM ports I mean REAL COM-ports. The computer was desktop
> with 8 real COM ports.

So was was the FT-1000 Mark-V physically connect to one of these real COM
Ports or to the MK2R+?  When I say "Real COM Port" I mean a DE9 connector on
the back of a PC, a standalone COM port that you can use when the MK2R+ is
powered off or unplugged , like this one, mounted on a PC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dsubs.png

Bob, now I'm not following you! I'm not saying this is anything to do
> with virtual serial port. I'm saying (as Andy and Juha also reported)
> that RADIO control (CAT) for FT1000MP (also MarkV) is broken when
> trying to use some of high number COM ports. I can't say if it's WT or
> Router issue, but Router was working as it should also with high
> numbered COM and looking from Router log all looked normal.

All of the COM ports defined and used by the MK2R+ are considered "virtual
COM ports" because they are accessed through a single USB connector, through
a special device driver (Router.exe) and microHAM cables, not accessed via
legacy connectors wired to the PC motherboard.  If you have 8 physical
COM1-COM8 connectors on your PC, you have to define COM9 and higher in the
MicroHAM.  You can't define COM8 with the microHAM because there will be a
conflict with the "other" COM8 unless you disable it first.

Now I'm confused, because earlier you wrote:

At OG8X we used MK2R+ and FT1000MP MarkV and we noticed that if CAT
> was assigned to COM-port with large number (ie 8 or so), we could not
> get CAT-work at Win-Test. MicroHAM router was showing the frequency
> OK, but WT did not work with CAT.

If the microHAM router is displaying the radio frequency, then you are using
a virtual serial port, not a physical one.  Or did you use two different
computers, one with physical COM ports, no microHAM, and another with a
microHAM virtual COM ports?  And COM8 wouldn't work on either PC?

Juha wrote:

At the time the Microham router talked with the FT1000MP ok but Win-test
> didn't.

Once again, that means a virtual serial port is being used via USB, not a
"real" one.