[WT-support] ARRL CW Problem

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Feb 19 22:02:56 CET 2008

Nick,

Let me explain.  On the setup panel, one would select the *initial* station
type from a drop-down list, with RUN1 being the default value for *new*
files.
Hopefully when computer #2 is set up, people will naturally set the station
type to RUN2 at the same time that they enter the station name "STN2".  Many
people already assume that this takes care of everything today, since the
prompt says simply "Station: STN1" rather than "Station Name:" or "Station
Type".  The prompt is too ambiguous and can easily be misinterpreted by
intelligent people who have read the manual, as we have already seen.

Then later during the contest, typing RUN1 or RUN2 would affect the value on
*both* the current data entry screen *and* the configuration screen.  It
just changes the value in the WTB file, same as changing a CW message.  Next
time you open the file (REOPEN), you would see the last-used station type in
the display, which may now be different the original value that was selected
when that computer was set up.

So, it works just like it works today.  The only difference is that you
finally get to SEE the station ID displayed on the configuration screen,
which would automatically prompt most people to think about setting it
before continuing.

No message box is necessary.