[WT-support] K3 Internal Keyer support, Prosign characters

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Dec 11 00:39:43 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Toby Deinhardt <dj7mgq at muenchen-mail.de>wrote:

> It would also be very nice if WinTest would finally also support
> Elecraft's internal keyers (K2 and K3).

Have you tried using the K3 Utility as a CW Keyboard program?  When I tried
it, the behavior was very erratic.  It would send some characters fine, then
pause for a long time, then send some more characters.  The connection was
through a microHAM MK2R+'s virtual serial port, but I doubt that's the
problem.  Could you please try it on yours?  Type fast. :-)

The K3 CW protocol calls for 24-ASCII-characters at a time, max (see KY
command in K3 Programmer's
Reference<http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K3_Pgmrs_Ref_Rev_B16.pdf>).
I wonder if that's part of the problem.

I also wonder if the K3 CW protocol is rich enough to support the precise
timing requirements currently supported by Win-Test during data entry, e.g.,
type part of a call, press [Insert], type the rest of the call while CW is
sent, including backspaces, including speed changes, arrow key movements,
and corrections, staying ahead of the CW, and Win-Test (usually) does the
right thing.  If you lose all this function by using the K3 internal keyer,
that would be a problem.

However, I really would like to see if Win-Test could support some of the
prosign characters.  There's currently no way to send "AS", "KN", "AR", or
"SK" via Win-Test message or keyboard right now, and that would be useful at
times.

There are some common mappings for these, though unfortunately WinKey and K3
don't agree 100%:

Prosign  WinKey    K3 internal keyer
__
AR         +          +
__
AS      <1B>[A][S]    %
__
BT         =          =
__
KN         :          (
__
SK         >          *

See also Bug Report
#172<http://flyspray.win-test.com/index.php?do=details&id=172>regarding
the failure of remapped keys to work as expected when in [Alt-K]
keyboard mode, which may or may not complicate things.