[WT-support] Special Initialization strings for radios (and winkey)?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Dec 4 23:48:19 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Mario Lorenz <ml-wt at vdazone.org> wrote:

> Does Win-Test have, by chance, in some .ini file or elsewhere thats
> non-obvious, a way to send special initialization command strings to
> Radios, or WinKey ?

Unfortunately no.  The closest thing appears to be the $MK2R= message
variable described
here<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Supported_Accessories#Integrated_SO2R_boxes>,
but it cannot be used for this purpose.

Wouldn't it be great if Win-Test could support three more message variables:

  $WK=  (send command text to WinKey)
  $RIG1=  (send radio-specific command text to Rig 1)
  $RIG2=  (send radio-specific command text to Rig 2)

Maybe "0xHH" could be used to send hex (binary) bytes if required by the
protocol.

Then we could all experiment to figure out methods to generate unsupported
radio-specific commands such as "Enable RTS and DTR for PTT and CWKEY",
"Clear RIT", "Set VFO A to VFO B's frequency", "Enter Dual Receive" for all
of our individual radios, so that Laurent and Olivier don't have to do all
the hard work themselves to figure this out.  We could share command strings
here on this Reflector, and in the Wiki.

It thus seems that the delay and garbled CW we experienced came from the
> DLPORTIO kludge or is otherwise related to
> the parallel port... So, if youre having CW quality issues with the LPT
> port, go try the serial one...

This does *not* seem to be a common problem; as CW keying via a "real"
parallel port usually works perfectly.  It works fine for me even on a
slower laptop with a docking station.  It will not work well if you're
hardware is inlcudes a USB-to-Parallel port adapter.  Changing printer port
type in the bios from EPP to ECP may also help.

Note: the CW sidetone playing on the PC speaker via the SOUND command will
often sound terrible even though the LPT keying is perfect.