[WT-support] Configuring LPT and DX Doubler

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Aug 11 19:09:45 CEST 2008

Bruce,

I found the User Guide for your Vaio VGN-S480B
here<http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGNS480B&LOC=3>
:

On Page 75 there's a note:

"The printer port on the port replicator is intended for printer connections
only."

So indeed it may be a "printer only" parallel port that is unusable for any
other purpose.

In any case, on Page 176 there's some more info.

If the bidirectional communication functions are provided with your printer,
disabling the functions on your computer may
enable printing. Follow these steps:
1 Click Start and then Control Panel.
2 Click Printers and Other Hardware.
3 Click Printers and Faxes.
4 Right-click an unused printer and select Properties.
5 Click the Ports tab.
6 Click to cancel the Enable bidirectional support check box.
7 Click OK.

It might be useful to see what you can find under that Ports tab.  Maybe
there's an "Advanced" button where you can discover the printer port's I/O
address.  Even then, it still may not work.

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM, Bruce Elbert <bruce at applicationstrategy.com