[WT-support] new user - Various comments - Future feature request.

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Sep 9 20:22:20 CEST 2007

On 9/9/07, Larry Schimelpfenig <larryk7sv at comcast.net> wrote:

> 6. While there is something akin to cw weight control in WT, it's really a
> dot dash ration. Again because I like using QSK on cw and both of my ICOMs
> have a tendency to short characters slightly when using QSK, it would be
> nice if WT provided what is called "keying compensation" by the folks that
> make Logikey. As opposed to weight control it actually increases keying on
> time and decreased keying off time to compensate for shortened characters,
> independent of cw speed.

I also would like to see this feature in Win-Test, which Logikey also calls
the "K-factor".  It is really just a number from 1 to 10 representing the
number of milliseconds of extra key down time for each dot or dash,
regardless of keying speed, so it is much more useful than simple a dot/dash
ratio weight control.  I don't know of any other contest software that has
it, but every Logikey does.  Does the Win-Key keyer have it?

You can get an approximation of the number you need for your rig by looking
at the keying waveforms in the QST Product Reviews.

See also http://lists.contesting.com/_yaesu/1996-08/msg00027.html

(a post I made over 11 years ago?!)