[WT-support] The Bridgehead Concept

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Oct 24 03:32:23 CEST 2007

On 10/20/07, BA7NQ Terry <ltw at vip.163.com> wrote:

> I found "The Bridgehead Concept" title in wiki homepage... does WT support
> this function in 3.16 version and how to setup?
>
> 73! de BA7NQ TERRY

Terry,

I guess you are referring to:

http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Networking#The_Bridgehead_Concept

I just updated this section in the Wiki a little to reflect the way I
*think* it is supposed to work.  Someone please correct me (and the Wiki) if
I got this wrong.

Say you have three PCs per location, at two separate locations:

Location A (LAN #1):
   160: (The bridgehead)
    80:
    40:

Location B: (LAN #2):
    20:
    15:
    10: (The bridgehead)

Assume all of the PCs at Location A are connected by a wired or wireless LAN
#1, and all the PCs at Location B are also connected to each other via LAN
#2, but that only the 160m and 10m computers are connected directly to the
Internet (or to each other via a slow WAN).

Under Ethernet configuration (Options, Configure Interfaces, Network
Protocol Advanced Settings), check "Restrict the sync QSO inventories to the
LAN." for the 80, 40, 20, and 15m computers, but leave it unchecked for the
160 and 10m computers (the bridgehead computers).  Then the QSOs will be
synchronized between all computers at each location, with only the
bridgehead computers taking care of synchronizing between the two
locations.  This reduces WAN network traffic since only two computers will
use it.

The checkbox is in the Network Protocol Advanced Settings dialog, shown
here:  http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#Ethernet

Please test this and report the results.

Please note, as F6FVY already mentioned, under the rules of the CQ WW
Contest, if two locations are using the same callsign, they cannot be in
different cities; they have to be within 500 meters of each other:

"Transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500 meter diameter
circle or within the property limits of the station licensee's address,
whichever is greater. All antennas used by the entrant must be physically
connected by wires to the transmitters and receivers used by the entrant."

Even if the property is all owned by the Government or a school, I still
don't think it is allowed for the stations to be kilometers apart.  The
property has to be one continuous piece of land (one "address") >500m wide
before such wide station separation >500m may be used.  Of course, you can
do whatever you want if you mark the log as a "Check Log" (not competing for
awards).

GL in CQ WW.