[WT-support] "Failed to open COM1!"

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Nov 27 02:28:38 CET 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 1:15 PM, Rolf Salme <sm5mx at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When clicking on the final OK in the Win-test
> Interface Configuration window, after filling in all
> info such as PIN 7 = PTT (RTS), PIN 4 = CW Output
> (DTR) et cetera, I get the error message "Failed to
> open COM1!".

Rolf,

This can happen if another program is running that is already using COM1:
For example, if you ever used a PDA such as a Palm Pilot with your PC,
chances are good the Palm Pilot "HotSync" software is still there and
running, every time you boot the PC, and it could be grabbing COM1.

Check your Windows start-up folder for something like "HotSync Manager"
(Start, All Programs, Startup).  It could also be some old PacketCluster/TNC
software that is still running, or even old CT TSRs like COMTSR1.

If it is none of the above:

   1. Download and install the free Windows Process
Explorer<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx>program
from Microsoft.
   2. Click the "Search" button (binoculars)
   3. Search for the Handle substring:  "serial"
   4. Process Explorer will then display all programs currently using
   handle names such as \device\serial0 or similar (that's COM1:), and you'll
   have your answer.