No subject

Mon May 14 10:49:07 CEST 2007

>>I find it amazing that KC1XX has turned down win-test over a few =
irrational discrepancies

Neither Bill nor I have stated that we "turned down" Win-Test =
out-of-hand.  I have been evaluating the software for several months, =
keeping in mind the operating strategies used at KC1XX.  Rick, as an =
owner of a Multi-Multi station I'm sure you'd agree each M/M has unique =
approaches to contesting, both beyond the norm as well as among the =
Multi-Multi's themselves.  I respectfully disagree that the issues we =
raised are "irrational discrepencies."  These issues - for us - stem =
from how we operate at XX.

We're serious about this.  These are real issues to us.  We raised them =
in hopes that it might, at the very least, start a constructive dialog =
like other enhancement requests we've seen mentioned on this reflector.

>>if the same process were used to evaluate their current program, CT =
they would turn it down also

Yes, CT has many issues, which is why we were looking beyond CT in the =
first place.  Win-Test is the best option for migrating beyond CT for =
KC1XX.  However, after thoughtful consideration of -- again -- the =
operating strategies we employ at XX, there are a few road blocks:

- Bug report 159. Control of radio frequency when operating split=20

- We'd like to see a couple additional keyboard commands implemented in =
CT to reduce 100% reliance on the mouse.  A mouse doesn't provide the =
speed we're looking for.  It's one more peripheral that requires a level =
of hand-eye coordination that is unnecessary and handicapping in a =
fast-paced contesting environment.  Specifically, the CT "Ctrl-Right =
Arrow" and "Alt-Right Arrow" commands that take focus away from the =
logging control and present cursors within the Band Map and DX Spot =
Announcement windows that are scrollable with Up/Down arrow keys are two =
we'd like to see implemented.  =20

In my opinion, it's not being old-fashioned and not willing to get used =
to a mouse.  I'm 32 and don't remember a computer without a mouse.  <g> =
This is about speed and accuracy.

- Alt-F4 does not toggle between run and last-grabbed-spot frequencies.  =
By "toggle" we mean having the ability to do unlimited two-way switching =
from a spot, back to the run frequency, back to the last selected spot, =
and so on.  This CT feature gets used quite a lot at XX on bands where =
we do not man two interlocked stations.  Right now, WT's alt-F4 is only =
one-way from the spot back to the run frequency. =20

- Response time in setting radio frequency, at least on the Orion.  =
Response time between the software and radio is critical to being able =
to utilize the other enhancements listed above effectively.

The WT developers have done very well making WT as CT-like as possible, =
which is a huge plus for us.  There are many additional features in =
Win-Test that are fantastic, many of which solve the problems with CT =
that drive us crazy.  However, after weighing the pros and cons, CT =
remains the better option for KC1XX for now ***and we don't like =
that***.  We want Win-Test to be the better option.  We thought this =
would be the right forum to raise these topics.

Thanks for your time and 73,
Bob WA1Z

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C83ABA.58AA1A10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>From Rick, NQ4I:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&gt;&gt;</FONT><FONT size=3D3>I find it amazing that =
KC1XX has=20
turned down win-test over a few irrational discrepancies</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Neither Bill nor I have stated that we "turned down" =
Win-Test=20
out-of-hand.&nbsp; I have been evaluating the software for several =
months,=20
keeping in mind the operating strategies used at KC1XX.&nbsp;&nbsp;Rick, =
as an=20
owner of a Multi-Multi station I'm sure you'd agree each M/M has unique=20
approaches to contesting, both beyond the norm as well as among the=20
Multi-Multi's themselves.&nbsp; I respectfully disagree that the issues =
we=20
raised are "irrational discrepencies."&nbsp; These issues - for us - =
stem from=20
how we operate at XX.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We're serious about this.&nbsp; These are real =
issues to=20
us.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT size=3D2>We raised them in hopes that it might, =
at the very=20
least, start a constructive dialog like other enhancement requests we've =
seen=20
mentioned on this reflector.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&gt;&gt;</FONT><FONT size=3D3>if the same process =
were used to=20
evaluate their current program, CT they would turn it down =
also</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yes, CT has many issues, which is why we were looking beyond CT in =
the=20
first place.&nbsp;&nbsp;Win-Test is the best option for migrating beyond =
CT for=20
KC1XX.&nbsp; However, after thoughtful consideration of --&nbsp;again=20
--&nbsp;the operating strategies we employ at XX, there are a few road=20
blocks:</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>- <FONT size=3D3>Bug report 159. Control of radio =
frequency when=20
operating split </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>- We'd like to see a couple =
additional keyboard=20
commands implemented in CT to reduce 100% reliance on the mouse.&nbsp; A =
mouse=20
doesn't provide the speed we're looking for.&nbsp; It's&nbsp;one more =
peripheral=20
that requires a level of hand-eye coordination that is unnecessary and=20
handicapping&nbsp;in a fast-paced contesting environment.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>Specifically, the CT =
"Ctrl-Right Arrow"=20
and "Alt-Right Arrow" commands that take focus away from the logging =
control and=20
present cursors within the Band Map and DX Spot Announcement windows =
that are=20
scrollable with Up/Down arrow keys are two we'd like to see=20
implemented.&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3><FONT size=3D2>In my opinion, it's =
not being=20
old-fashioned and not willing to get used to a mouse.&nbsp; I'm 32 and =
don't=20
remember a computer without a mouse.&nbsp; &lt;g&gt; This is about speed =
and=20
accuracy.</FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>- Alt-F4 does not toggle between run =
and=20
last-grabbed-spot&nbsp;frequencies.&nbsp; By "toggle" we mean having the =
ability=20
to do unlimited two-way switching from a spot, back to the run =
frequency, back=20
to the last selected spot, and so on.&nbsp; This CT feature gets used =
quite a=20
lot at XX on bands where we do not man two interlocked stations.&nbsp; =
Right=20
now, WT's alt-F4 is only one-way from the spot back to the run =
frequency.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>-&nbsp;Response time in setting radio =
frequency,=20
at least on the Orion.&nbsp; Response time between the software and =
radio is=20
critical to being able to utilize the other enhancements listed above=20
effectively.</FONT></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The WT developers have done very well making WT as =
CT-like as=20
possible, which is a huge plus for us.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT size=3D3>There =

are&nbsp;many additional features&nbsp;in Win-Test that are fantastic, =
many of=20
which solve the problems with CT that drive us crazy.&nbsp; However, =
after=20
weighing the pros and cons, CT remains the better option for KC1XX for=20
now&nbsp;***and we don't like that***.&nbsp; We want Win-Test to be the =
better=20
option.&nbsp; We thought this would be the right forum to raise these=20
topics.</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></FONT>Thanks for your time&nbsp;and 73,</DIV>
<DIV>Bob WA1Z<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C83ABA.58AA1A10--