[WT-support] Self spotting is not allowed! I know, but....

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Mar 26 12:32:07 CEST 2007

Hi Bob

Bob I.2.WIJ a écrit :

> as I write in the subject,
> Self spotting is not allowed! I know, but....
>
> why this is considered self spotting?
> I prepared this spot:
>
> DX 5D5A 14197.0 qsl via I2WIJ
>
> I was trying to answer a question somebody made on
> the cluster few minutes before,
> but I have been fired off by WT!!!
>
> Moreover, WT alerts you, that Self-Spotting is
> strongly discouraged by contesting ethics,
> (and I agree) and then Close down!!!
> Isn't it a too heavy punishement for something
> which is not even wrong???
>
> Authors....what do you answer??

The case you're describing above is very marginal and, you're right,
should be considered by Win-Test. I will work on it.

I consider (actually, I wrote this feature), that self-spotting is one
of the strongest poisons in contesting. Abt the "heavy punishement", to
be honest, it is only a matter of seconds to be in the game again. WT
doesn't shutdown your computer or your station ;-)  But, I also got
several reports from users who really liked this feature. It usually
ends with a good laugh, and they don't try to do it again !

> That really was my only WT problem over the weekend.

Tnx for your report.

> P.S.2
> Larry and Olivier, can we make a survey, on how
> many WT users read the manual?

Sure (will be done in another thread).

> Looking at some very basic questions which are
> posed on this list, I would say they are -few-.

We really encourage every WT user to read this manual regularely
(http://docs.win-test.com/). It is a real fantastic job. I'm specially
impressed by the speed it is updated after each WT release ! Tnx again
Bob (I2WIJ), Ben (DL6RAI), Werner (DL4NER), José (CT1BOH), Simon (M0CLW)
and so many others...

73

Larry  - F6FVY