[WT-support] Fault when starting Win-Test

Dick Dievendorff dieven at msn.com
Fri Jun 22 16:13:09 CEST 2007

NQ4i writes: I had the same problem with one of my computers..I went into the dep
system and made an exception for win-test and now all works fine...

Rick, I could do that too, but running code from the stack or data segment is
generally considered to be a programming error.  It's something software vendors
should test for and get rid of. DEP is intended to combat a technique often used by
virus authors to inject code into processes. The hardware feature is a valuable tool
to combat malware, and I'm reluctant to turn it off.

The advice from Microsoft is to check with the vendor for a software update that fixes
the problem, which was my intent. I don't think Win-Test is viral.  I do think its
authors should fix this bug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/186de3d0-01af-4d4c-981d-674637d2f4
bf1033.mspx#EGB

Thanks for your response, though.  I think your workaround is reasonable, and I might
do that too. In parallel, I'm asking (through the original note) for a fix for the
problem.

CU in the contests!

73 de Dick, K6KR