[WT-support] QSK CW - PTT

Larry Schimelpfenig larryk7sv at comcast.net
Tue Jul 31 11:20:08 CEST 2007

I like using QSK for my low power cw contesting from the home qth. In
Win-Test when I select cw using the parallel port, it is tied to selecting
PTT on the parallel port as well. There appears to be no way of selecting
one but not the other. The problem of course is when I use function keys on
the computer to send cw, PTT is asserted as well, so no QSK. Short of
putting a switch in the parallel cable is there any way to defeat PTT when
operating CW?

I'm using a DXDoubler SO2R box with an IC756PROII and an IC746. For rtty I'm
asserting PTT and FSK from a pair of serial ports and I believe I could
specify those serial ports in the WT configuration to obtain PTT for SSB,
but I still have the problem of CW being tied to PTT with the parallel
cable.

Has anyone else dealt with the problem? I suppose I could ask the WT folks
to separate CW and PTT, but there may well be a solution that wouldn't
require that.

I've been busy rebuilding the station so I can do SO2R on CW/RTTY/SSB
without having to move any cables around and such. This is the only
remaining issue, and it's sure sweet to be able to sit down and do a contest
without having to rewire things!

I love W-T and it continues to become better and better. Networking and
stability problems with a competing product when doing multi efforts from
NR4M just about got the best of me. So far it's been easy to set up Win-Test
and it's been extremely reliable. As I told the other NR4M ops, my blood
pressure remains normal and I'm not stressed out at the beginning of a
contest because of computer problems!

73 de Larry K7SV