[WT-support] "+"-Key and QTCs

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 18 18:43:37 CEST 2007

On 7/18/07, Franta Bendl <dj0zy at i--i.de> wrote:

> The conditions: I'm logging contests using my Laptop (no extra numpad)
> with a
> keyboard with US-Layout. It means that the "+" is the SHIFT-"=". To enter
> the
> QSO I need to hit the "="-Key. I don't know why, the documentation says to
>
> use "+"-Key, but it's OK and better then SHIFT-"=".

In the "Redefine keyboard keys" window, you should see

Redefined Keys      New Key
=                   PLUS    (not Shift + PLUS)

When programming, check the status of your NumLock key.  There should be an
LED somewhere indicating if NumLock is currently on.  Normally you want it
to be off.  If you are using an External Keyboard, the LED may not light up.

To get the mapping above on a U.S. keyboard notebook (e.g., IBM ThinkPad):

   1. Disconnect any external keyboards and reboot Windows
   2. DEFINEKEYS
   3. Add
   4. (Make sure NumLock LED is OFF)
   5. Press the "=" key (without shift)
   6. Press Shift-NumLock.  NumLock LED should light up.  NumLock on some
   Laptops is near the F11 key, same key as Scroll Lock, but you have to press
   Shift to get NumLock ("NumLk" is on the top, above "ScrLk").
   7. Press the "/" (forward slash) key (on my IBM ThinkPad, there's a
   third symbol, a "+" on this keytop, to the right of the "/" and "?",
   indicating that the slash key will act like a "+" (plus) key whenever
   NumLock is active.  It may be in a different place on your keyboard, perhaps
   on the "+/=" key!  If so, press the "+/-" key (without shift) instead of
   pressing "/".
   8. You should see "PLUS" in the NewKey column, as shown above.
   9. Press Shift-NumLock again to turn off the NumLock LED
   10. Press OK
   11. Test closing your QTC window by pressing the "=" key.

FYI, I recommend redefining the single quote (') key, next to Enter, as the
"+" (TU + log QSO) key, as explained in one of my previous posts.