[WT-support] Proposal to improve value of WT in IARU-mixed mode

Rudolf Schwenger rudolf.schwenger at t-online.de
Tue Jul 17 12:35:10 CEST 2007

Dear WT development team,

please accept my congratulations: Inspite of it's enormous and ever increasing functionality WT worked extremely stable and flawlessly - leave alone some small hick ups, which most likely are due to either my 1GHz NB or the combination of the notebook and the microKEYER.

I took part in the HP mixed mode class, i.e. CW and SSB on all bands. Agreed, it does not make a lot of sense to work as many HQ-stns as possible on as many bands as possible in as many modes as possible if you are in for a big total score. However, for me, it is some sort of a thrill to work a HQ-stn on all 6 Bands in both modes, i.e. log the HQ-stn 12 times. This ambition is not really supported in WT.

May I, therefore, suggest that WT in the HQ-window does not just change the colour of the band the HQ-stn has been worked on but select the colour of such marking according to the mode

(a) worked in CW (maybe blue)
(b) worked in SSB (maybe yellow)
(c) worked in CW *and* SSB (maybe green)

The same methodology could be applied in the Multiplier Window, which would make it even simpler to identify, which mode is needed on which band.

Thanks for looking into this matter.

As far as the little hick ups - mentioned above - are concerned they are well known to you. Over the years the situation has become much more stable and the hick ups occur less and less:

(1) The way I set up the routine messages in CW is to send the 599 very fast and to slow down on the zone or the number or whatever intelligent information needs to be exchanged. This works fine in 98% of all cases. However once or twice per hour the PC (or the microKEYER??) does not slow down for the intelligent part of the message. It just keeps on transmitting in high speed.

(2) In SSB I love the ease of recording and playing messages offered by WT. Works great!! 95% of all messages played of course is the F1-message, i.e. calling CQ. In my case the auto repeat function is always active. What happens every now and then is an enormous delay between the moment the computer activates the repeat message and actually modulating the TRX with the message. What happens is, that the TRX changes its status from RX to TX with some sort of a clicking noise exactly at the moment programmed in the auto repeat feature, but then no speech for 3 to 5 seconds. Quite odd. This never happens at the beginning, i.e. immediately after pressing the F1 key the computer feeds my CQ message to the TRX (IC-7800). If nobody answers, the computer continues to repeat the message after the specified interval has passed. However after the third or fifth or seventh repetition there is this strange delay.

Unfortunately I am completely unable to detect any pattern, if and when these hick ups occur.

This input of mine should not really disturb your good nights rest. Yes, it's a bit annoying, but I can easily live with that. Most likely it has to do with the stability of my 7 year old 1GHz notebook, which has littele memory left over because of the many programs loaded. I will buy a new notebook before long - of course I sincerely hope that WT will run under VISTA - and I just feel that these two problems will then be gone.

Once again thanks for a great contest logger (and your most interesting presentation of the FY5KE - whereabouts in Friedrichshafen. I honestly believe you should install an air conditioner in the shack!!)

vy 73 de Rudy, DJ3WE