[WT-support] More problems with interfaces

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Sun Jan 14 13:11:11 CET 2007

EA5BM Juan Luis wrote:
> Hi again boys !!
>
> More problems with usb interfaces:  :-(((((
>
>   My first problem about how to transmit through usb port has been
> solved building a serial port cw interface and  as per WT website info
> and you help aslo configuring the WT properly in menu. So I can transmit
> CW OK.
>
> My laptop (a Fujitsu - Siemens Amilo XA-1526) has not any other ports
> than usb, so to control my Icom radio via CAT I purchased another usb to
> com adapter and also runs OK, the radio is controlled without incidents.
>
> The problem appears if all two adapters are conected at the same time,
> so that the CAT system runs allways well but the CW interface sends only
> a continue tone when any message is requested, F1, F2, calls, etc. if
> CAT is conected.

My guess is that your CAT interface has a pull-up resistor or something
similar which is making trouble on the DTR/RTS pins. Try to use a
3-wires only (ground, TXD, RXD) cable between the USB/COM port and the CAT.

> The problem concerning the monitoring CW still remains unsolved.

It is related to your laptop computer and I'm afraid that it will be
difficult to get this fixed, and actually I can do nothing in Win-Test for.

Anyway I've got another idea:

Open the "Device Manager"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B199276&x=8&y=12):

In menu "View", tick "Show Hidden Devices"

You will see "Beep" under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers".

Check if it is running and enabled (see attached picture: it must be
"Enabled" at startup and Status must be "Running").

HTH

Olivier / f5mzn