[WT-support] User Feedback from from XF4DL DXpedition

Joerg Tack df7th at gmx.net
Wed Jan 10 07:25:10 CET 2007

Hello WT development team,

at first I want to express our thanks for the support of the
XF4DL DXpedition where we used WT as the main logging SW.

It performed generally very well but there are some comments and suggestions I want to present here.

1) Anomalies
2) extensions, features or modifications based on the DXpedition usage.

All that is based on version 3.45 (both registered version and DXpedition freeware version) which we have been using on Socorro.

1) Anomalies noted

1a) Including CW macros (i.e. $F2, $MYCALL) in the additional
    CW messages (Alt-C + Fx) did not work in that version.
    i.e. We had to enter XF4DL instead of $MYCALL where needed.

1b) Starting an additional CW message (with Alt-C Fx) does not
    stop the CQ-REPEAT loop. Maybe the $REPEAT macro would have
    solved this. Or may be it's intended ?

    The same is actually true when pressing F1 while the
    CQ-loop is runing. Ideally pressing F1 should stop and
    immediately restart the CQ-REPEAT timer.
    We noted that pressing F1 would send an additional CQ-msg
    whithin a repetition interval.

1c) We had (abt. 3 times or so) a scenario where we ended up
    with a corrupted log on one computer for some reason.
    It seemed to be a problem with a particular QSO towards
    the end of the log.

    Unfortunately WT refuses to load anything in such scenario.
    Potentially missing one or a few QSOs in one of the LOGs is
    not a real problem as a log merge would solve this.
    Getting quickly back into operation is to my mind more
    important then missing QSOs.

    Dietmar, DL3DXX wanted to send you one of the faulty log files.
    If he hasn't done so yet I can get back to him or see whether
    I also have this file on one of my notebooks.

1d) When accidentially starting WT a second time the complete
    port configuration gets lost.

    Since this is almost never intended I propose that WT checks
    whether an instance is already running and either just doesn't
    allow a second instance to be started or at least requires an
    explicit confirmation by the user. (best by mouse click)

1e) When using a MicroHAM CW-KEYER in WinKey mode I noticed the
    following anomalies in CW generation:
    * the CQ-Repeat activtion ignored the defined delay but
      continuously repeated the F1-msg without a delay.
    * the $CORRECT macro always included the call in the
      confirm message (independent whether the call has been
      changed or not)

    Both worked fine as soon as I reconfigured CW for LPT or
    DTR/RTS generation.

2) Functional extension / modification wishes

2a) a new CW-message macro $SPLIT would be very useful.
    Most of the CW operators had defined several CQ-macros.
    When changing the split all those macros required
    modification.

    Ideally the macro could be redefined quickly by calling
    a definition/modification window with a key combination.

    Useful would be if it allows definitions such as:

    u1, d2, u3-5 (or 3/5)

    where 'u' or 'd' defines up and down, while taking
    "up" as the default when no starting 'u' or 'd' is
    given. (u results in 'up', d in 'dwn' beingh send)

    The remaining characters could be taken as a string
    and transmitted as they stand.
    For programming simplification the whole user input
    might be taken as a string and trasnmitted as it is
    entered.

2b) It would be neat when the Checkpartial would ignore
    callsign extensions such as /qrp /p etc. when comparing
    the actual call with the data base.

2c) That's probably no new wish ...
    Since most OPs configure their WT windows layout and
    the CW messages (normal and additional messages)
    differently it would be great if WT would be able
    to handle operator specific settings and a means
    of switching them.
    i.e. load_OP_setting or by an operator "login"
    which then could also be recorded in the log or
    a different file for statistics.
    (i.e. to answer the question:
      Who was operating on this machine at that time ?)

That's it. Again thank you very much for supplying our DXpedition
with this excellent logging-SW. I hope that my comments help
to improve it further. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you
have questions or need more information.

73, Joe
-DF7TH-