[WT-support] KC1XX turns down win-test

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Tue Dec 11 04:54:45 CET 2007

Larry --

   Ergonomic studies have shown that an action requiring a mouse click
(or screen touch) requires hundreds of milliseconds for an "educated
user" to perform.  "Educated" here means a user familiar with the
software application.  This assumes the action does not involve multiple
operations; e.g., opening menus, etc.  Most of this time is occupied in
moving the hand from the keyboard and returning.  The time increases
further if the hot spot to be clicked is smaller than 1 cm in either
dimension; e.g., a line of text.  This time cannot be improved by training.

   An uneducated user takes even longer to trigger an action with a
mouse click.  The increase is due to time to search for the desired
action on the screen.  This additional time decreases with user experience.

   In contrast, an educated/experienced user can trigger an action in
tens of milliseconds with a known keypress -- if only one keypress is
needed.

   Ergonomic guidelines strongly suggest that any keypress-triggered
action also can be accomplished by a mouse click.  Studies show that new
users rely more heavily on mouse clicks, but experienced users will move
to keypresses IF the correct keypress is hinted on the display.  If the
keypress is documented only in help files or in a hidden menu, the
learning time increases significantly and many users will never learn
the keyboard shortcut.

   In addition to ergonomic data, one can make some observations about
contesters.  Your message pointed out that many single-op/assisted and
small multi-op operators will have many spots available to them.  In
contrast, a big multi-op station will, after the first few hours of the
contest, generally have only 1-2 spots maximum relevant to a specific
band's operator... and most of the time the spot window is actually
empty.  The KC1XX suggestion is very relevant in this case: a
two-keypress solution to grab the most recent (and probably only) spot
is fast and appropriate for a big multi-multi.

   In conclusion, I feel the answer is not to choose just a mouse-click
solution (and no keypress possibility)... or just a keypress-sequence
solution (and no mouse click possibility).  Both have their uses.

73,
   -- Eric K3NA