[WT-support] KC1XX turns down win-test

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Dec 10 13:35:36 CET 2007

Hi Bob et al.

Bob Raymond, WA1Z a écrit :

> - We'd like to see a couple additional keyboard commands implemented in
> CT to reduce 100% reliance on the mouse.  A mouse doesn't provide the
> speed we're looking for.  It's one more peripheral that requires a level
> of hand-eye coordination that is unnecessary and handicapping in a
> fast-paced contesting environment.  Specifically, the CT "Ctrl-Right
> Arrow" and "Alt-Right Arrow" commands that take focus away from the
> logging control and present cursors within the Band Map and DX Spot
> Announcement windows that are scrollable with Up/Down arrow keys are two
> we'd like to see implemented.
>
> In my opinion, it's not being old-fashioned and not willing to get used
> to a mouse.  I'm 32 and don't remember a computer without a mouse.  <g>
> This is about speed and accuracy.

To be very honest, I don't think that using keystrokes will ever be
quicker than a mouse double-click on a *specific* spot...

To grab a spot in a list of 10 spots (which is very common), you need 7
keystrokes on average (one to enter the "grab" mode, 5 arrows strokes,
and one to validate). It is even longer with a crowed list. Really, I
bet the mouse trick will be always quicker than the keyboard one.

I understand *your* point at KC1XX, but *we* must also consider the
entire population of Win-Test users. It means that, to be fair, we
should also consider this "keyboard" implementation for single-ops who
are *not* limited to the band they are running. So, it would require to
find a way to allow them to grab a spot on *any* band (!), from one of
the two radios, and to allow the grabbed called to be entered in the
main or the secondary radio, or even to be only stored in the sub-VFO of
the TX. You see our point ? ;-)

The *only* advantage I see to use the keyboard for this, is that your
hands don't move much. But, on the other way, with the mouse, you can
still type with one hand, and "prepare" the next grab by moving the
mouse asynchroneously.

IMVHO, using a keyboard to grab a spot is a regression (at least, in the
way it is implemented in CT). The mouse is just much more flexible. I
don't say we will never implement this. I just say we have to consider
it in a *general* manner. We always considered the CT "compatibility" as
an inspiration, and not always an endpoint to reach.

Tnx for your other reports which are noted.