[WT-support] Practice for WAE CW

Werner Maier werner at maiers.de
Wed Aug 8 23:30:00 CEST 2007

Hi,

>> Which click is best for sending one QTC at a time? Is the QTC file normally
>> sent at a slower CW speed?

just imagine, you have to receive the qtcs. you might try here:
<http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/xedcwo.htm>
there are some examples, and you can get a feeling, someone hast
just take wintest, an empty logfile, and try to fetch all QTCs.

I Invite each DX station to try this out. It is a BIG difference
in doing contest QSOs or receiving QTCs.

after that, you might see the point Philippe is talking about:

> 2 - About the speed, here my feeling:
> I hope EU ops will use "QRQ" or "QRS" messages, it is important to be
> "comfortable" receiving/keyboard_typing capacities are very different.
> Patience is a great quality of CW ops! fast is good but no refill is
> better (and faster)! and your QTC must be 100% received if the op wants
> the point for it.

yes. and if the speed of the QTCS is at the limit (the receiving op's practice),
a QRS of 2 WPM can improve speed a lot.

e.g. if qtcs are sent with 30WPM and the eu station just looses one letter per 3 QTCs,
then three to 4 QTCs must be replayed. (or time? nr? call? must be resent).
maybe it is not really "loosing" a letter/number, but you might also think about
a typo on the keyboard. 30 WPM means 150 letters per minute or 2.5 keystrokes
per second. plus cursor postition in case of typos. Not everybody uses
ten fingers on the keyboard or can type touch-type.
So there might be additional pauses needed, when the "receiver" is not so fast
in typing... so sometimes it could have been faster in 28 wpm with no typos :)
just an example.

I guess a good CW op will give QRQ, if you send too slow :)

And I hope QRS will be respected as well (I lost 10 QTCs last year,
I had to ask call? nr? after the first qtc and sent "pse qrs" after
the second QTC and received: "sri nil qtc. cq contest"). But just 2 WPM
would have been enough.

73 de Werner DL4NER.
--
Dipl.-Ing. Univ. Werner Maier