[WT-support] Win-Test 3.3.5 in WWDX RTTY

Bernhard Buettner DL6RAI wintest at dl6rai.muc.de
Mon Sep 25 23:46:34 CEST 2006

Contesters:

Some observations from CQWW RTTY last weekend:

1) WT 3.3.5 with the RTTY plugin and WWDX RTTY rules updated last week,
ran pretty well for DQ4W in M/2 mode making ~2,500 QSOs. We had both
stations operational for 48 hours, both using radio control and sound
card interface through a Microham USB Interface II. Occasionally (2-3
times), WT would freeze and not respond to any keypress or mouse click.
Using the task manager, we had to kill WT, then MMTTY and then restart
WT. Never any serious problem and nothing was lost. Congratulations
for providing this terrific addition to WT!

2) In the middle of the contest, we set up yet another computer and
started it with an empty log. After less than 15 seconds, it was fully
up to date. It looks like you perfectly optimized the network protocol.

3) Focus lost: When using the MMTTY plugin and pressing a button in the
MMTTY window (for example changing the decoder type from FIR to PLL),
the main WT window will lose the keyboard focus. Clicking buttons
with the mouse is still possible but any keypresses will go nowhere.
The WT main window's title bar will signal that it got the focus
(blue title bar) but it doesn't. Currently, you have to click on the
title bar of the MMTTY sub window, then the title bar of WT and only
then keyboard focus will return to WT. Alternatively, you can press
Alt-Tab twice. Randomly, without being able to reproduce the problem,
the focus would also go away when clicking in the bandmap or DX spots
announce windows.

4) The worked states window dows not update when changing bands.

5) When grabbing a callsign from the RX window and then grabbing
another callsign from there, the guessed zone/state is not updated
properly for the second grab. Example (imagine you have a little
pile-up): First grab is K0RF; let's assume you have worked the station
on another band before, so WT will fill in zone 04 and CO as a state.
Then, without making QSO with K0RF, you grab F6FVY (who presumably
is also calling and you wish to make that QSO before K0RF). Now F6FVY
is in the QSO entry line, but still with zones 04 and state CO.

6) Feature request: We would like to propose the following change.
a) single-clicking a callsign in the RTTY RX window: copy the callsign
to the QSO entry line.
b) double-clicking: same as (a) plus emulate pressing of the [INS]
key so that the QSO is initiated right away.
This is how WF1B's RTTY.EXE used to work; also RCKlog does it this
way. Seems to be a standard and saves the operator one mouse click
(or keypress) per QSO.

73 Ben, DL6RAI