[WT-support] WT2livescore

Marios Nicolaou drmarios at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 17:21:37 CEST 2006

Dear all,

>I know Pascal F5LEN, who is also working on an interface software, added
>a checkbox to send only your raw score (no breakdown). This way, your
>competitors can't guess which bands you are working.

Personally, when I was first interested in livescoring a while back, I
thought of collecting ALL the data (score+breakdown) from the station once
an hour on the server then displaying just the raw scores (no breakdown) per
category (again once an hour).IE the server has full control.  If possible,
the scoring clients would ideally post the scores within a 10 minute window
around the hour (eg 12:50-1300 in order to minimize server load and ensure
comparable results), if not possible the last scores outside this window
should be posted but clearly marked. Doing this once an hour on the hour
(like in WRTC) gives the people the incentive to look at the scores at this
time, and see whether their relative score has improved or worsened
Additionally, I thought that the qso/mult breakdown should only be available
at the end of the contest where it would be interesting to study the
differences in strategy.  If possible, it would be interesting to  compare
your performance vs your competitor's performance hour by hour using graphs.
In this way somebody's "live" strategy is not given away at the time and it
encourages people to maximize their score by developing their own strategy
rather than "copying" somebody else.  Of course this is my opinion and it is
very easy to express it but a great effort to implement it.

I do think that Gerry's effort  should be applauded as he has started and
created something extremely usable and has got people thinking about live
scoring. This is a needed revolution that is very likelygoing to make
contesting even more interesting!

73s

--
Marios